Houston, TX, Goes Solar with SunPower®
Make the most of your roof space in Space City with solar power
The state of solar in Houston
Houston is the No. 1 city in the United States for clean energy use, sourcing a stunning 92% of its power from solar and wind energy.* The city sets an example for other major Texas cities through its ambitious Climate Action Plan, which outlines impressive goals to optimize solar energy and decrease greenhouse gas emissions.
- *. PaperCity Mag, Houston Ranks No. 1 in America in Renewable Energy Use – No, Really, July 2019.
How much solar energy does Houston produce?
Solar energy use has increased dramatically in Houston in recent years. Between 2018 and 2019, the city's solar capacity doubled from 20.6 MW to 42.53 MW, resulting in enough energy to power approximately 8,400 homes.* Houston produces 18.29 Watts of solar power per capita. However, Houston has room for continual growth and is still far from maximizing its solar energy potential.
- *. Houston Doubles Its Solar Capacity For The Second Year In A Row, Houston Public Media, May 2020.
What are the advantages of going solar in Houston?
The solar industry has invested over $8.6 billion throughout Texas.* With over 475 solar companies operating across the state, residents can expect to benefit from the city's widespread solar energy use whether they own solar systems or not.
As solar energy use continues to increase through Houston, homeowners can take advantage of the reduced electricity costs that result from this broader accessibility. Unlike other cities, Houston city officials also encourage residents to go solar, eliminating some of the barriers that homeowners in other areas of Texas face from homeowner's associations (HOAs) or energy regulations.
Increasing solar access throughout Houston helps Texas meet its Climate Action Plan goal of becoming carbon neutral by 2050, as well. As homeowners and corporations replace natural gas with solar energy, carbon emissions will continually decrease, leading to cleaner air for everyone.
- *. State Solar Spotlight, Texas Key Figures, December 2020.
How much does solar cost in Houston?
The cost of a home solar system can vary, even in the same city, due to a range of factors. These include:
Quality of the solar system's panels and parts
Household's energy needs
Type and angle of the roof
Shaded roof space
To help you understand the price of going solar in your area, we've analyzed SunPower price quotes, as well as quotes gathered by third-party sources,* for thousands of homeowners across the country.
In Houston, we found that the cost of a 5 kW solar system ranges from $12,550 to $21,700, or in other words, from $2.51 to $4.34 per watt. And that's before considering the benefits of any available tax credits or incentives.
Houston residents can take advantage of several incentive programs to reduce the cost of going solar.
You may be eligible for a 26% Federal Tax Credit, potentially offsetting the cost of your solar system by several thousand dollars.* Texas also has a renewable energy property tax exemption that ensures you won't pay additional taxes as a result of the added-value of your solar system.
Although some HOAs try to prevent solar panel installation, Texas has implemented a solar rights law that ensures that all homeowners can utilize these systems without HOA interference.*
Additionally, many Houston homeowners benefit from net metering plans that allow them to transfer any excess energy their system produces back to the grid for a credit.* Net metering credits can be used to cover energy-use from the grid during periods of low solar production.
The average solar system in Houston will pay for itself in about 13 years and can offer more than $15,000 in energy cost savings over the first 20 years of use.*
- *. Local Solar Installers 2020/2021, Solar Reviews 2021, Energy Sage 2021, Wood Mackenzie 2020, National Renewable Energy Laboratory 2020
- *. Tax credits subject to change. SunPower does not warrant, guarantee or otherwise advise its partners or customers about specific tax outcomes. Consult your tax advisor regarding the solar tax credit and how it applies to your specific circumstances. Please visit the dsireusa.org website for detailed solar policy information.
- *. Go Solar Texas, Solar Rights and Regulations.
- *. Net metering utility credits and incentives vary by location and are subject to change. Your SunPower Dealer can help you determine incentives available in your area. Please visit the dsireusa.org website for detailed solar policy information.
- *. Energy Sage, How much do solar panels cost in Houston, Texas in 2021? March 2021.
What's the best way to go solar in Houston?
Every homeowner has different wants and needs when it comes to installing a solar system. Budget, property size, available roof space, and long-term plans all play a role in determining the best solar panels for your home, and unfortunately, not all systems are created equal.
Reputable solar companies like SunPower can help you choose the perfect solar solution through free consultations. During a consultation and before signing a contract, we'll provide a virtual system design, monthly electric bill savings estimate, price quote, an overview of available incentives and tax credits.
Curious about what your home will look like with solar panels? Schedule a free consultation with our solar experts today, call us directly at (800) 786-7693, or create your own solar design online at the SunPower Design Studio.
Looking for commercial solar in Houston?
SunPower is the top commercial solar provider in the U.S.* Schedule a commercial solar consultation today.
- *. SunPower ranked #1 in U.S. commercial solar capacity from 2017-2019 and #2 in 2020, and ranks #1 in cumulative solar provided from 2017-2020: Wood Mackenzie, March 2021.
SunPower® Design Studio
See what your home looks like with solar
SunPower currently creates thousands of solar designs per week for our customers. Now we can create thousands per second.