FONTANA, CA, GOES SOLAR WITH SUNPOWER®
SunPower brings clean energy to San Bernardino Valley
The state of solar in Fontana
Fontanans are no strangers to sunny days and warm weather. With an average of 281 sunny days per year,* Fontana’s ample access to sunlight makes it a viable location for solar energy to thrive. 95% of the city's rooftops are solar viable, and over 2,000 residents have already begun taking advantage of this solar potential.*
How much solar energy does Fontana produce?
Fontana ranks 16th among 1,100 of California’s largest cities and 1st in San Bernardino County for installed solar capacity.* The county has an impressive solar capacity of 1,725 MW. Fontana has several larger solar installations, including a 305 kW system at Chaffey College and a 269 kW system at FedEx,* and will likely see more in the future as California trudges towards 100% clean-energy usage.
What are the advantages of going solar in Fontana?
Electricity rates in Fontana are 4.17% higher than the state average and 34.5% higher than the national average.* Switching to solar energy could offer significant savings on your electricity bills each month.
A 5 kW solar system could potentially pay for itself in as little as 6 to 7 years and may offer savings of up to $43,000 over 20 years. You may be able to hit that elusive break-in point earlier by taking advantage available of incentives, rebates, or net metering.*
Net metering allows you to transfer any excess energy your system produces back to the grid for a credit. That credit can be applied to future electricity bills to offset grid energy purchased during times of low solar production, like evenings and rainy days.
Additionally, the City of Fontana has implemented sustainability and resilience goals that encourage residents to switch to solar energy. The city plans to enact policies that support solar installations and other renewable options. Switching to solar in Fontana is easier than ever with these city-wide goals in mind.
How much does solar cost in Fontana?
The cost of a home solar system can vary, even in the same city, due to a range of factors. These include:
Household’s energy needs
Available roof space
Angle of the roof
Quality of the solar system
To help you understand the price of going solar in your area, we've analyzed SunPower price quotes, as well as quotes gathered by third-party sources for thousands of homeowners across the country.*
In Fontana, we found that the cost of owning a 5 kW solar system ranges from $13,950 to $21,500, or in other words, from $2.79 to $4.30 per watt. And that's before considering the benefits of any available tax credits or incentives.
You may be able to take advantage of state-wide and nationwide incentives that offset the costs of going solar. The Disadvantaged Communities - Single-Family Solar Homes program provides rebates to income-eligible families in California for installing solar panels on their homes. There’s also the Investment Tax Credit. This incentive may allow you to claim 26% of your solar energy system costs on your federal taxes.*
What’s the best way to go solar in Fontana?
Because solar systems vary in quality, durability, energy production, and design, it’s important to consult a solar expert before moving forward with your installation. Choosing the right system for your home is essential to ensuring that your solar installation meets your needs, provides optimal energy production, and stays within your budget.
Once you contact a solar provider, they’ll come to your property and inspect your roof to determine the right system for your home. You should also receive a detailed consultation before signing a contract where you’ll be given a cost and savings estimate, custom system design, and an overview of any available incentives.
Looking for commercial solar in Fontana?
SunPower is the #1 Commercial Solar Provider in the U.S. since 2017.* Schedule a commercial solar consultation today.
- *. Best Places. Climate in Fontana, CA, April 2021.
- *. Google, Project Sunroof data explorer (November 2018).
- *. California Solar & Storage Association. Does your city generate a lot of solar energy? Rankings offer surprises. June 2020.
- *. Fedex. Solar-Powered Operations. April 2021.
- *. Electricity Local. Fontana Electricity Rates. April 2021.
- *. The availability of net metering, incentives, rebates, and tax credits vary and are subject to change. Consult your tax advisor regarding the solar tax credit and how it applies to your specific circumstances. Visit dsireusa.org for detailed solar policy information.
- *. Local Solar Installers 2020/2021, Solar Reviews 2021, Energy Sage 2021, Wood Mackenzie 2020, National Renewable Energy Laboratory 2020
- *. Tax credits subject to change. Consult your tax advisor regarding the solar tax credit and how it applies to your specific circumstances. Visit dsireusa.org for detailed solar policy information.
- *. Wood MacKenzie, US PV Leaderboard (March 2021). SunPower ranked #1 in cumulative commercial volume 2017-2020.
SunPower® Design Studio
See what your home looks like with solar
SunPower currently creates thousands of solar designs per week for our customers. Now we can create thousands per second.