Bakersfield, CA, Goes Solar with SunPower®
Solar energy hits a high note in Bakersfield
The state of solar in Bakersfield
California is known for its sunshine, and Bakersfield is full of light. With 272 days of sunshine per year, everyone from homeowners to large-scale businesses and farms can take advantage of the clean energy that solar power has to offer.* With an abundance of federal, state, and city incentives, you'll never find a better time to switch to solar.
The City of Bakersfield is actively welcoming solutions that involve solar energy. The city is a founding partner of the Sustainable Energy Action Committee (SEAC), an organization serving as a forum to collaborate on guidelines for implementing codes "for permitting and inspection practices of renewable energy systems."*
How much solar energy does Bakersfield produce?
In addition to being the largest oil producer in California, Bakersfield is also gaining fame as a center for clean energy. The city ranks fifth in California for total solar capacity at 118.95 MW and first in the state for per capita solar capacity at 310.11 watts per person.*
Bakersfield is also home to the second solar thermal power plant built in the state, the Kimberlina, a 10-acre project with a 5 MW capacity.*
What are the advantages of going solar in Bakersfield?
No discussion of the benefits of solar would be complete without mentioning the merits of clean energy. Bakersfield suffers from poor air quality thanks to the Central Valley's bowl-like structure that traps pollution. By reducing dependence on fossil fuels, solar can be an essential solution for improving air quality.
With utility costs on the rise, cutting energy costs is the most obvious reason for going solar. According to a PayScale cost-of-living report, Bakersfield residents pay energy costs that are 36% higher than the state's average.*
The City of Bakersfield has developed an expedited permitting process to encourage small residential rooftop solar energy systems. In June 2020, Bakersfield signed on as a partner in a cooperative three-year project with the U.S. Department of Energy Solar Energy Technologies Office to "identify and develop solutions to solar and solar-plus-storage code enforcement and permitting challenges."*
In addition to saving on monthly utility expenses, those who go solar may be eligible for various tax credits and incentives to offset the cost of the original investment in clean energy.*
Another advantage to going solar is net metering, an incentive that allows you to get credit for the extra energy your system produces, effectively allowing you to sell electricity to your local utility company.*
- *. Payscale, Cost of Living in Bakersfield, California
- *. Interstate Renewable Energy Council (IREC). National Forum Launched for Solar & Storage Code and Permitting Solutions. June 2020.
- *. Incentives, rebates, and tax credits vary and are subject to change. Your SunPower Dealer can help you determine incentives available in your area, but SunPower does not warrant, guarantee or otherwise advise its customers about specific tax outcomes or their ability to qualify for local incentives. Consult your tax advisor regarding the solar tax credit and how it applies to your specific circumstances. You can also visit the dsireusa.org website for detailed solar policy information.
- *. The availability of net metering varies by location and is subject to change. Your SunPower Dealer can help you determine if you qualify. You can also visit the dsireusa.org website for detailed solar policy information.
How much does solar cost in Bakersfield?
The cost of a home solar system can vary, even in the same city, due to a range of factors. These include:
Household's energy needs
Quality of the solar system's panels and parts
Quality and length of the warranty
Angle of the roof
Type of roof
Shaded roof space
To help you understand the price of going solar in your area, we've analyzed SunPower price quotes, as well as quotes gathered by third-party sources,* for thousands of homeowners across the country.
In Bakersfield, we found that the cost of a 5 kW solar system ranges from $13,350 to $28,650, or in other words, from $2.67 to $5.73 per watt. And that's before considering the benefits of any available tax credits or incentives.
The Federal ITC Tax Credit allows you to claim 26% of the cost of your solar system and installation on your federal taxes.* Several incentive programs are available, though many have expiration dates. You can check for a list of current offers.
Many homeowners also see the value of their homes increase immediately after transitioning to solar. Zillow reports that homes with solar panel installations generally sell for 4.1% more than homes without this upgrade.* With the average home price in Bakersfield currently at $286,000, this translates to a possible home value increase of approximately $11,726.*
As solar becomes more popular and the technology advances, solar prices continue to decrease. Combined with the ever-rising cost of electricity, solar power is a smart investment for 2021 and beyond.
- *. Local Solar Installers 2020/2021, Solar Reviews 2021, Energy Sage 2021, Wood Mackenzie 2020, National Renewable Energy Laboratory 2020
- *. Tax credits subject to change. SunPower does not warrant, guarantee or otherwise advise its partners or customers about specific tax outcomes. Consult your tax advisor regarding the solar tax credit and how it applies to your specific circumstances. Please visit the dsireusa.org website for detailed solar policy information
- *. Zillow, Homes with Solar Panels Sell for 4.1% More, a comparison of home values with and without solar, in New York, NY, Orlando, FL, San Francisco, CA, Los Angeles, CA and Riverside, CA. April 2019.
- *. Redfin, Bakersfield Housing Market, 2021
What's the best way to go solar in Bakersfield?
Though solar can benefit every home and business owner, it's important to note that there's no single, one-size-fits-all solution. Solar installers can help you determine your current and future electricity needs. Quality solar providers will also evaluate your roof, recommend the right solar panels, and give you a quote so that you're clear on how much you can expect to spend—and how much you can expect to save.
Bakersfield has a specific set of requirements for solar energy systems with which your installation pro will need to be familiar. At SunPower, we're uniquely qualified to help homeowners, homebuilders, and businesses achieve their clean energy goals.
We offer free consultations so you can get answers to your solar and battery storage questions, as well as a custom system design and savings estimate, price quote, and review of available incentives and tax credits.
SunPower® Design Studio
See what your home looks like with solar
SunPower currently creates thousands of solar designs per week for our customers. Now we can create thousands per second.