CORPUS CHRISTI, TX, GOES SOLAR WITH SUNPOWER®
Corpus Christi’s lets the light in
The state of solar in Corpus Christi
With 223 sunny days per year, Corpus Christi receives an above-average heaping of sunshine.* Roughly 94% of the city’s rooftops are also solar viable,* and residents are putting them to good use. Corpus Christi ranked among the top solar cities in Texas in both 2019 and 2020.
How much solar energy does Corpus Christi produce?
As of December 2019, Corpus Christi had 3.44 MW of installed solar capacity, up from 1.7 MW in December 2018. The city ranks 33rd among Texas cities for total solar capacity and has 10.60 Watts of solar capacity per person.
What are the advantages of going solar in Corpus Christi?
Switching to solar in Corpus Christi is a cost-effective long-term option. A 5-kW solar PV system can offer upwards of $18,000 in electricity cost savings over 20 years and may pay for itself within 12 -13 years.*
With a battery storage a solar system can also provide peace of mind during power outages. In February 2021, more than 2 million Texas homeowners found themselves without power in the middle of winter.* With climate change kicking up unusual weather and harsh storms, there's a fair chance the state will see more large outages. Solar power with backup battery storage can keep the lights and heat on.
Speaking of climate change, solar power is also carbon-neutral, and one small way you can help reduce carbon emissions in our community.
How much does solar cost in Corpus Christi?
The cost of a home solar system can vary, even in the same city, due to a range of factors, such as:
Angle of the roof
To help you understand the price of going solar in your area, we've analyzed SunPower price quotes, as well as quotes gathered by third-party sources* for thousands of homeowners across the country.*
In Corpus Christi, we found that the average cost of purchasing a 5 kW solar system is $14,150 or in other words, from $2.83 per watt. And that's before considering the benefits of any available tax credits or incentives.
You may be able to claim the 26% Federal Tax Credit to offset some of your installation costs or take advantage of net metering.* Net metering allows you to send any excess electricity your solar PV system produces back to the grid for a credit on your bill.*
What’s the best way to go solar in Corpus Christi?
Choosing the right solar system for your home depends on your energy needs and how you plan to use your system. If you intend to generate more power than you can use and want to sell the energy back to your utility, you should invest in a higher-capacity solar system. Conversely, if you want to preserve your roof's aesthetics, go for a smaller but still highly efficient solar system.
Your solar provider can discuss these options and more with you during a consultation. You will also receive a price quote, savings estimate, custom system design, and overview of any incentives or rebates available to you.
- *. Best Places. Climate in Corpus Christi, Texas. April 2021.
- *. Google, Project Sunroof data explorer (November 2018).
- *. Energy Sage. Solar Panels in Corpus Christi, TX. April 2021.
- *. The Texas Tribune. 2 million Texas households without power as massive winter storm drives demand for electricity. February 2021.
- *. SunPower Dealers 2020/2020, Energy Sage 2021, Solar Reviews 2021, Wood Mackenzie 2020, National Renewable Energy Laboratory 2020
- *. Local Solar Installers 2020/2021, Solar Reviews 2021, Energy Sage 2021, Wood Mackenzie 2020, National Renewable Energy Laboratory 2020
- *. Tax credits subject to change. Consult your tax advisor regarding the solar tax credit and how it applies to your specific circumstances. Visit dsireusa.org for detailed solar policy information
- *. The availability of net metering varies by location and is subject to change. A SunPower Dealer can help you determine if you qualify. Visit dsireusa.org for detailed solar policy information.
SunPower® Design Studio
See what your home looks like with solar
SunPower currently creates thousands of solar designs per week for our customers. Now we can create thousands per second.