NEW YORK CITY, NY, GOES SOLAR WITH SUNPOWER®
Solar energy keeps the lights on in "The City that Never Sleeps"
The state of solar in New York City
New York City is a solar leader in the United States. With an average of 224 sunny days,* approximately 80% of the rooftops in the city are solar viable.* New York City is committed to increasing its solar capacity by 350 MW by 2025 via private and public installations.
How much solar energy does New York City produce?
Based on data from December 2019, New York City ranks 6th in the U.S. for total installed solar capacity at 244.78 MW. It ranks 37th for per capita solar capacity, with 29.14 watts per person. According to solar statistics from Sustainable CUNY, that capacity has already increased to 252.16 MW as of February 2021. Solar capacity in New York City has increased over 440% in the last five years!*
What are the advantages of going solar in New York City?
Going solar is a monumental step forward in the effort to preserve and protect our planet's natural resources for future generations. We can all benefit from reduced air pollutants, greenhouse gases, and smog.
On top of the environmental benefits of green energy, going solar can also offer significant energy cost savings. New Yorkers pay some of the highest electricity prices in the nation at 44% to 60% higher than the U.S. average. Solar power installation costs, on the other hand, have dropped over 30% in New York City over the last five years.* The average 5 kWh solar PV system in New York City can pay for itself within 7 to 10 years through savings on your monthly electric bill.
How much does solar cost in New York City?
The cost of a home solar system can vary, even in the same city, due to a range of factors. These include:
Available roof space
Percentage of shaded roof space
Household's energy needs
Quality of the solar system
To help you understand the price of going solar in your area, we've analyzed SunPower price quotes, as well as quotes gathered by third-party sources for thousands of homeowners across the country. * In New York City, we found that the cost of owning a 5 kW solar system ranges from $16,450 to $42,200, or in other words, from $3.29 to $8.44 per watt. And that's before considering the benefits of any available tax credits or incentives.
On top of the 26% federal tax credit, you can also take advantage of statewide incentives, including*:
25% State Income Tax Credit: Homeowners can claim a nonrefundable credit of up to $5,000 on their state income taxes for qualified solar equipment. The credit can be carried over for up to five years.
The Megawatt Block Incentive Structure: Supplies an up-front dollars-per-watt rebate for home and business solar panel systems. The value of this incentive varies based on your location and the current "block" status, with the rebate per watt decreasing with each block. As of March 2021, ConEdison is in block 9, with a 30 cent per watt rebate, equating to $1,500 for a 5-kW system.
What is the best way to go solar in New York City?
Before you make the switch to solar, you'll need to determine your energy needs and work with a solar installation company to design a system that will meet those needs. It's vital to consider your roof size, its sun exposure, and your budget when planning a solar system.
A reputable solar installation company will help you choose the perfect solar system through in-person or online consultations and custom solar designs. During the consultation and before signing a contract, you should receive a system design, monthly electric bill savings estimate, price quote, and an overview of available incentives and tax credits.
SunPower can guide you through the process of going solar in NYC. Simply request a consultation with our solar experts today to start the process of switching to clean solar energy. We'll contact you to schedule a good time for the consultation.
You're also welcome to call us directly at (800) 786-7693.
Looking for commercial solar in New York City?
SunPower is the top commercial solar provider in the U.S. for four years and counting.* Schedule a commercial solar consultation today.
- *. Best Places. Climate in New York, New York. March 2021.
- *. Project Sunroof data explorer (November 2018).
- *. Sustainable CUNY. N.Y. Solar Map. Percentage increase based on a starting capacity of 46.4 MW in 2015 to 252.16 MW as of February 2021.
- *. Sustainable CUNY. N.Y. Solar Map. Percentage decrease based on a starting cost of 4.22 $/W in 2015 to 2.88 $/W in February 2021.
- *. Local Installers 2020/2021, Wood Mackenzie 2020, Solar Reviews 2021, Energy Sage 2021, National Renewable Energy Laboratory 2020
- *. Incentives, rebates, and tax credits vary and are subject to change. SunPower does not warrant, guarantee or otherwise advise its customers about specific tax outcomes or their ability to qualify for local incentives. Consult your tax advisor regarding the solar tax credit and how it applies to your specific circumstances. Your SunPower Dealer can help you determine incentives available in your area. You can also visit the dsireusa.org website for detailed solar policy information.
- *. Wood MacKenzie, US PV Leaderboard (March 2021). SunPower ranked #1 in cumulative commercial volume 2017-2020, including as the #1 commercial provider in each of 2017, 2018 and 2019.
SunPower® Design Studio
See what your home looks like with solar
SunPower currently creates thousands of solar designs per week for our customers. Now we can create thousands per second.