TRENTON, NJ, GOES SOLAR WITH SUNPOWER®
Solar energy is taking over the New Jersey capital city
The state of solar in Trenton
As New Jersey's capital city, Trenton is one of the state's biggest solar energy producers, enough so that it ranked as one of the Environment America Research & Policy Center's Solar Star cities in 2019. Google's Project Sunroof estimates over 14,000 rooftops in the city are solar viable, enough to generate over 200,000 MW of energy per year.*
How much solar energy does Trenton produce?
As of December 2019, Trenton has 16 MW of installed solar capacity or about 186 W per person. Currently, solar power comprises roughly 75% of the city's total clean energy production,* and state officials are working toward achieving 100% clean energy consumption statewide by 2050.*
What are the advantages of going solar in Trenton?
As the city sees 202 sunny days per year, going solar in Trenton is an excellent way to reduce your energy costs. Electricity rates in the city are currently over 25% higher than the national average at 14.88 cents per kWh*—and those rates are expected to reach upwards of 21 cents per kWh in the future.
In comparison, the levelized cost of solar energy in Trenton is about 5 cents per kWh, equating to roughly $56,000 to $69,000 in savings over 25 years. A purchased 5 kW solar system may pay for itself within just 4 to 5 years as a result.*
Solar power is also carbon-neutral, so you'll be doing your part to prevent air pollution while saving on your electricity bills.
How much does solar cost in Trenton?
The cost of a home solar system can vary, even in the same city, due to a range of factors. These include your:
Available roof space
Shaded roof space
Household's energy needs
Usable-life of the solar panels
To help you understand the price of going solar in your area, we've analyzed SunPower price quotes, as well as quotes gathered by third-party sources,* for thousands of homeowners across the country.
In New Jersey, we found that the cost of purchasing a 5 kW solar system ranges from $13,900 to $27,100, or in other words, from $2.78 to $5.42 per watt. And that's before considering the benefits of any available tax credits or incentives. Fortunately, New Jersey offers several monetary incentives to help residents to switch to solar energy.
The state's net metering policy allows you to earn credit on your electricity bill for the excess power your solar system produces.* You can use this credit to cover energy usage from the grid during periods of low energy production, such as at evenings or rainy days.
New Jersey also offers Transition Renewable Energy Certificates (TRECs). You can earn one TREC for every MW of solar energy your system produces over 15 years. Each TREC is worth $91.20 for residential systems.*
Even better, the value your system adds to your home is property tax-exempt, and you won't pay any sales tax.* You may be able to take advantage of a 26% federal solar tax credit as well.*
What's the best way to go solar in Trenton?
The best way to go solar in Trenton is to hire a professional, experienced solar company to help you through the process. Solar systems vary in factors such as:
Working with a reputable solar company makes it easy to find the right solar energy system for your home or business. The solar professional you speak with should offer a free consultation that provides you with a custom system design, monthly electric bill savings estimate, price quote, and an overview of available incentives and tax credits—all before signing a contract
Schedule your free consultation today to learn more about how going solar can benefit you and your family.
Looking for commercial solar in Trenton?
SunPower is the top commercial solar providers in the U.S. * Schedule a commercial solar consultation today.
- *. Project Sunroof data explorer (November 2018).
- *. Compare Electricity. Electricity Sources for Trenton, NJ 08611.
- *. NJ.com, The solar energy revolution should benefit all Garden State communities equally, Trenton’s mayor says, February 2020.
- *. Electricity Local. Trenton Electricity Rates.
- *. Solar Reviews, Solar panels Trenton, NJ, 2021.
- *. Local Solar Installers 2020/2021, Solar Reviews 2021, Energy Sage 2021, Wood Mackenzie 2020, National Renewable Energy Laboratory 2020
- *. The availability of net metering varies by location and is subject to change. Your SunPower Dealer can help you determine if you qualify. You can also visit the dsireusa.org website for detailed solar policy information.
- *. InClime Inc. TRECS NJ FAQ. April 2021.
- *. FOOTNOTE
- *. Tax credits subject to change. SunPower does not warrant, guarantee, or otherwise advise its partners or customers about specific tax outcomes. Consult your tax advisor regarding the solar tax credit and how it applies to your specific circumstances. Please visit the dsireusa.org website for detailed solar policy information.
- *. Wood MacKenzie, US PV Leaderboard (March 2021). SunPower ranked #1 in cumulative commercial volume 2017-2020, including as the #1 commercial provider in each of 2017, 2018 and 2019.
SunPower® Design Studio
See what your home looks like with solar
SunPower currently creates thousands of solar designs per week for our customers. Now we can create thousands per second.