RENO, NV, GOES SOLAR WITH SUNPOWER®
Solar energy lights up "The Biggest Little City in the World"
The state of solar in Reno
Reno ranks within the top five sunniest cities in the U.S. The sun is shining in Reno 79% of the time, and an estimated 94% of the city's rooftops are solar viable.* Reno currently meets 10% of its energy needs via clean energy and aims to increase that percentage to 80% by 2050.
How much solar energy does Reno produce?
In 2019, the City of Reno reported generating 366,250 kWh of solar energy annually. It's also home to several large solar arrays. Apple completed a 61 MW installation to power its data center campus at Reno Technology Park in March 2021.*
NV Energy, Reno's primary electricity provider, has two new solar arrays near Reno in the works,* as well, one of which will be among the largest solar energy and battery storage projects in the U.S. The Dodge Flat Energy Center will host a 200 MW solar system with 50 MWs of battery storage.*
What are the advantages of going solar in Reno?
While electricity rates in Nevada are among the lowest in the nation, solar power still offers cost savings over the long run. Solar PV installation costs have dropped 45% in the last five years,*and many systems pay for themselves in around a decade.*
Once you break even on your system, you'll be generating essentially free energy and may even be able to completely eliminate your electricity bills with a battery storage system or net metering. With net metering, you can send the excess energy your system produces back to your energy provider for a credit that can be used to offset any usage from the grid during times of low energy production.*
Another advantage of going solar is the resulting positive impact on the environment. If all the solar-viable rooftops in Reno were utilized, carbon emissions would drop by 653 metric tons—the equivalent of taking 138,000 cars off the road for a year.*
How much does solar cost in Reno?
The cost of a home solar system can vary, even in the same city, due to a range of factors. These include:
Available roof space
Roof type or position
Household's energy needs
Quality of the solar system
To help you understand the price of going solar in your area, we've analyzed SunPower price quotes, as well as quotes gathered by third-party sources,* for thousands of homeowners across the country. In Reno, we found that the cost of owning a 5 kW solar system ranges from $13,800 to $37,800, or in other words, from $2.76 to $7.56 per watt. And that's before considering the benefits of any available tax credits or incentives.
On top of the 26% federal tax credit, you can also take advantage of the NV Energy Residential Energy Storage Incentives program.* This program offers a per-watt hour incentive for solar storage installation. Systems must be between 4 and 100 kW, and the incentive amount varies based on whether or not you sign up for NV Energy's time of use (TOU) rate.
TOU customers earn 19 cents per watt hour capped at $3,000 or 50% of equipment costs. Non-TOU customers can earn .0095 cents per watt capped at $1,500 or 50% of equipment costs. This incentive is on a step-down plan and may reduce in the future.*
What is the best way to go solar in Reno?
The right system for your home or business will depend on a range of factors, including your energy usage, available unshaded roof space, and budget. Determining these factors is always the first step in going solar—and that's easier with the help of a skilled solar installer.
A reputable solar company can help you choose the perfect solar system through in-person or online consultations and custom solar designs. During the consultation, and before signing a contract, you should receive a system design, monthly electric bill savings estimate, price quote, and an overview of available incentives and tax credits.
SunPower can guide you through the entire process of going solar in Reno. Request a consultation with one of our solar experts today to start the process of switching to clean, solar energy. We'll contact you to schedule a good time for the consultation.
You're also welcome to call us directly at (800) 786-7693.
Looking for commercial solar in Reno?
SunPower is the #1 Commercial Solar Provider in the U.S.* Schedule a commercial solar consultation today.
- *. Project Sunroof data explorer (November 2018).
- *. Reno Gazette Journal. Apple’s $60M Turquoise Solar Project now operational, providing power to Reno data center. March 2021.
- *. NV Energy. Solar Resources. March 2021.
- *. News 4 & Fox 11. One of America's largest solar energy centers to be built in Northern Nevada. August 2019.
- *. Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA). Nevada Solar. Q4 2020.
- *. Energy Sage. Solar Panels in Reno. March 2021.
- *. The availability of net metering varies by location and is subject to change. Your SunPower Dealer can help you determine if you qualify. You can also visit the dsireusa.org website for detailed solar policy information.
- *. Google’s Project Sunroof. Estimated rooftop solar potential of Reno, NV. November 2018.
- *. Local Solar Installers 2020/2021, Solar Reviews 2021, Energy Sage 2021, Wood Mackenzie 2020, National Renewable Energy Laboratory 2020
- *. Incentives, rebates, and tax credits vary and are subject to change. SunPower does not warrant, guarantee or otherwise advise its customers about specific tax outcomes or their ability to qualify for local incentives. Consult your tax advisor regarding the solar tax credit and how it applies to your specific circumstances. Visit dsireusa.org for detailed solar policy information.
- *. NV Energy. Residential Energy Storage Incentives. March 2021.
- *. Wood Mackenzie, US PV Leaderboard (March 2021). SunPower ranked #1 in cumulative commercial volume 2017-2020
SunPower® Design Studio
See what your home looks like with solar
SunPower currently creates thousands of solar designs per week for our customers. Now we can create thousands per second.