DETROIT, MI, GOES SOLAR WITH SUNPOWER®
We’re rolling solar energy into Motor City
The state of solar in Detroit
Solar energy production rates in Detroit have skyrocketed in recent years. Thanks to the Detroit-based energy utility company DTE Energy, the city houses one of the largest urban solar parks in the Midwest, featuring 2,400 solar panels that generate enough energy to power 450 homes.*
The city's increased solar production led the Environment America Research and Policy Center to name Detroit as one of the top solar builders in the United States in 2019.
How much solar energy does Detroit produce?
As of December 2019, Detroit has 4.11 MW of installed solar capacity or roughly 6.12 W of solar PV per person, and this number continues to grow steadily. Much of the city's solar energy comes from DTE Energy Initiatives, which generate enough clean energy to power over 14,000 homes.
What are the advantages of going solar in Detroit?
Switching to solar energy is an effective way to save money on your electricity bills. The average Detroit resident pays 17.5 cents per kWh for gas- or coal-powered electricity, and this rate has risen steadily each year.
However, levelized solar energy costs are as low as 6.9 cents per kWh,* a difference of 10.6 cents. Detroit residents can expect to save around $22,660 in electricity costs over twenty years by going solar, with a 5 kW solar system paying for itself within approximately 11 years.*
You can also take advantage of the Distributed Generation program.* This program replaced Michigan's net metering policy in 2016 and is based on an inflow-outflow formula where any excess energy your solar system generates is credited to your account at the current power supply rate, excluding transmission fees.*
How much does solar cost in Detroit?
The cost of a home solar system can vary, even in the same city, due to a range of factors. These include the:
Household's energy needs
Quality of the solar system
Available roof space
Shaded roof space
To help you understand the price of going solar in your area, we've analyzed SunPower price quotes, as well as quotes gathered by third-party sources for thousands of homeowners across the country.*
In Michigan, we found that the average cost of owning a 5 kW solar system is $15,750, or in other words, $3.15 per watt. And that's before considering the benefits of any available tax credits or incentives.
While there are currently no state- or city-based rebates or credits available, the added value of your solar system is exempt from your property taxes. You may also be eligible for federal solar tax incentives. The Investment Tax Credit offers a tax credit of 26% of the total purchase price of your solar system.*
What's the best way to go solar in Detroit?
If you're considering going solar in Detroit, hiring a professional solar company can streamline the process significantly. Choosing the right solar installation provider is an essential step in ensuring that your solar panels power your home adequately and help you meet your energy goals.
Reputable solar energy companies should offer you a free consultation, before signing a contract, where you receive a detailed system design, monthly electric bill savings estimate, price quote, and an overview of available incentives and tax credits.
If you're looking to go solar in Detroit, SunPower can help. Schedule a free consultation with one of our solar experts today. We'll help you get better solar for your home, reduce your energy costs and help offset pollution. You're also welcome to call us directly at (800) 786-7693.
Looking for commercial solar in Detroit?
SunPower is the #1 Commercial Solar Provider in the U.S. since 2017.* Schedule a commercial solar consultation today.
- *. DTE Energy. Solar Energy. April 2021.
- *. Solar Reviews, Solar panel cost Michigan: Prices & data. April 2021
- *. Energy Sage. Solar Panels in Detroit, MI. April 2021.
- *. Local and utility incentives vary by location and are subject to change. Your SunPower Dealer can help you determine incentives available in your area. Please visit the dsireusa.org website for detailed solar policy information.
- *. DTE Energy. Rooftop Solar and Private Generation. April 2021.
- *. Local Solar Installers 2020/2021, Solar Reviews 2021, Energy Sage 2021, Wood Mackenzie 2020, National Renewable Energy Laboratory 2020
- *. Tax credits subject to change. SunPower does not warrant, guarantee or otherwise advise its partners or customers about specific tax outcomes. Consult your tax advisor regarding the solar tax credit and how it applies to your specific circumstances. Visit dsireusa.org for detailed solar policy information.
- *. Wood MacKenzie, US PV Leaderboard (March 2021). SunPower ranked #1 in cumulative commercial volume 2017-2020
SunPower® Design Studio
See what your home looks like with solar
SunPower currently creates thousands of solar designs per week for our customers. Now we can create thousands per second.