DES MOINES, IA, GOES SOLAR WITH SUNPOWER®
The Hartford of the West goes green with clean solar energy
The state of solar in Des Moines
Did you know that the city of Des Moines, IA, gets about 204 sunny days each year?* With all that bright sunshine, it makes sense that the solar variability of Iowa’s capital is at 64%.* With that huge solar variability percentage and other significant advantages, it’s easy to see why so many people are considering making the switch to solar.
One of those advantages for Des Moines residents is the state property tax incentive, which means you can get a 100% exemption on your property taxes for going solar.* This considerable tax break* is just one of the great financial and tax incentives you’ll be eligible for by installing a solar system at your home or business in Des Moines.
How much solar energy does Des Moines produce?
Des Moines receives more than 2500 hours of sunlight every year.* With all those sunny days, it should come as no surprise that Des Moines produces 6.79 watts of solar PV (photovoltaic) per person. Thus, the capital city produces an average of 4.77 kWh per day.*
One of the largest solar installations in the state is Eastern Iowa Solar. This 2.3 MW project produces enough electricity to power the homes of 283 Des Moines residents.
What are the advantages of going solar in Des Moines?
With the solar capacity in Des Moines growing faster each year, the advantages of switching to clean solar energy are growing right along with it. The first and most apparent is the group of environmental benefits that come from utilizing a clean, renewable energy source.
Another great advantage of going solar is the money you’ll save. If you’re tired of sky-high utility bills each month, then clean solar energy is the perfect solution. Did you know that you could save between $46,215 and $56,486 over 25 years?*
Another significant benefit is that your solar system will pay for itself over the next few years after installation. You could enjoy a 100% payback in as few as 5.8 years when you choose to go solar in Des Moines.*
How much does solar cost in Des Moines?
The cost of installing a solar system for your home can vary, even for those living in the same city. A number of variables can affect the overall cost, including:
Available roof space
Quality of the solar system
Household energy requirements
To help you understand the price of going solar in your area, we’ve analyzed SunPower price quotes, as well as quotes from third-party sources*, for thousands of homeowners all over the country.
In Iowa, we found that the average investment to own a 5 kW solar system ranges from $14,500 to $16,750, in other words, the cost is from $2.90 to $3.35 per watt. Of course, that’s before considering the money-saving benefits of Iowa’s available tax credits and incentives.
With the federal tax credit of up to 26%, you can dramatically reduce the cost of installing a solar energy system. You can claim this solar energy tax credit on your federal income taxes for a percentage of the price of your solar PV (photovoltaic) system. To be eligible, your system must be in place and operational during the tax year and generate electricity for your home in the U.S.
What to consider when going solar in Iowa
If you’re thinking about making the switch to clean solar energy in Des Moines, be sure to consider a few things. In fact, with a 45% decrease in price over the last five years,* the benefits of going solar have never been more affordable.
Des Moines has seen an enormous increase in the number of solar installations each year, mainly because of the incentive programs for qualifying residential and business property owners. In addition, the local utility companies and municipalities may also provide their own incentives and benefits.
With an abundance of sunlight each year in Des Moines, it’s clear to see why so many residents and business owners have been making the switch to clean solar energy.
What’s the best way to go solar in Des Moines?
If you’re ready to go solar in Des Moines, be sure to remember that not every solar system is created equally. Based on the solar provider you choose, the quality, durability, and performance of a system may vary significantly.
You should also consider critical factors like system size and the number of panels you’ll need. Those numbers depend on your available roof space, specific energy needs, and budget. A reputable solar power company should take all the hassle and guesswork out of going solar by providing online consultations and comprehensive solar and storage solutions.
Look for a company that will perform a thorough inspection to determine your solar needs and keep you informed throughout the entire process. Getting a solar system will boost your property's value and complement its aesthetics. A reputable solar energy company should also help you access every available solar incentive and rebate to help you reduce installation costs.
- *. BestPlaces.Net: Des Moines, Iowa. Accessed July 1, 2021. https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/des-moines/iowa/united-states/usia...
- *. Google, Project Sunroof data explorer (November 2018). https://sunroof.withgoogle.com/data-explorer/place/ChIJ5ee7MFwYnlQRsdmEC...
- *. DSIRE: Property Tax Exemption for Renewable Energy Systems, updated June 29, 2020. https://programs.dsireusa.org/system/program/detail/184/property-tax-exe...
- *. Tax credits and incentives are subject to change. Visit dsireusa.org for detailed solar policy information.
- *. U.S. Climate Data: Climate Des Moines-Iowa, Published 2021. https://www.usclimatedata.com/climate/des-moines/iowa/united-states/usia...
- *. SolarReviews.com: Solar Panels Iowa: Prices, Incentives, and best companies 2021. Published 2021.
- *. EnergySage.com: Solar Panels in Des Moines, IA. Updated 6/26/2021.
- *. SEIA.org: State Solar Spotlight Iowa. Accessed July 1, 2021. https://www.seia.org/sites/default/files/2021-03/Iowa.pdf
- *. Local Solar Installers 2020/2021, Solar Reviews 2021, Energy Sage 2021, Wood Mackenzie 2020, National Renewable Energy Laboratory 2020
- *. U.S. Department of Energy: Homeowner’s Guide to the Federal Tax Credit for Photovoltaics. January, 2020. https://www.energy.gov/sites/prod/files/2020/01/f70/Guide%20to%20Federal...
SunPower® Design Studio
See what your home looks like with solar
SunPower currently creates thousands of solar designs per week for our customers. Now we can create thousands per second.