Delaware goes solar with SunPower®
Giving Delaware Liberty and Independence
The state of solar in Delaware
At 202 sunny days per year, Delaware’s sunshine is nearly the same as the U.S. average of 205.* The state’s energy efficiency policy and program efforts rank it 20th in the nation, according to the American Council for an Energy-Efficient Economy (ACEEE).* The portion of Delaware’s buildings viable for solar panels is 80%, which means that the state has ample opportunity to take advantage of solar as a source of clean energy.*
- *. BestPlaces. Climate in Delaware (accessed August 16, 2021). https://www.bestplaces.net/climate/state/delaware
- *. ACEEE. State Scorecard Rank | ACEEE (accessed August 16, 2021). https://database.aceee.org/state-scorecard-rank
- *. Google Project Sunroof. Data Explorer | Delaware (accessed August 16, 2021). https://sunroof.withgoogle.com/data-explorer/place/ChIJO9YMTXYFx4kReOgEj...
How much solar energy does Delaware produce?
Data from the Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) indicates that the number of megawatts for Delaware’s solar installations ranks 39th in the U.S.* About 3.87% of the state's electricity comes from solar, powering 18,101 homes. Delaware has 7,492 solar installations, the most notable being the Milford Solar Farm and 1 MW, DD Hay Road Solar 23 LLC. Information about other solar installations is available on SEIA’s website.*
- *. SEIA. Delaware Solar | SEIA (accessed August 16, 2021). https://www.seia.org/state-solar-policy/delaware-solar
- *. SEIA. Major Solar Projects List | SEIA (accessed August 16, 2021). https://www.seia.org/research-resources/major-solar-projects-list
What are the advantages of going solar in Delaware?
Delaware residents rank 26th among other states for the average retail price of electricity to the residential sector. As of April 2021, statistics from the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) show that residents of Delaware pay an average price of nearly 13 cents per kilowatt hour, which is in the middle of the range of what other American states pay, on average.
It’s important to know that solar power reduces your bill by however much solar energy your system produces. In addition, solar panels for home use can last over 25 years, saving system owners around $20K in energy costs over the solar system's lifetime A few other benefits of converting sunlight to electricity are better air quality, CO2 reduction, and good jobs in an industry poised for growth.
How much does solar cost in Delaware?
Even in the same state, home solar system costs can vary due to a range of factors, including:
Type of roof
Household’s energy needs
Shaded roof space
Quality of the solar system’s panel and parts
To help you understand the price of going solar in your area, we've analyzed SunPower price quotes, as well as quotes gathered by third-party sources for thousands of homeowners across the country.
In Delaware, we found that the average cost of owning a 5 kW solar system ranges from $12,400 to $13,850, or in other words, from $2.48 to $2.77 per watt. And that's before considering the benefits of any available tax credits or incentives.
What to consider when going solar in Delaware
In Delaware, homeowners may claim the federal residential solar energy tax credit for new solar systems installed by December 31, 2023.*
While Delaware’s electricity costs aren’t the highest, the state receives enough sunshine to make solar a very promising option for residents and businesses alike. Plus, on days when the weather causes a power outage, backup battery storage can provide energy when homeowners need it most.
Across the U.S., solar panel prices have dropped 43% since 2016 and 80% over the last ten years, making a case for solar in Delaware even more exciting. In addition, Delaware has laws, grants, and credits for clean energy, including:*
Delaware Solar Rights Law*
Green Grant- Solar Hot Water and Geothermal Program*
Solar Renewable Energy Credits (SRECs) Spot Market Program*
- *. Tax credits and incentives are subject to change. Visit dsireusa.org for detailed solar policy information.
- *. DSIRE. Programs | Delaware Solar (accessed August 16, 2021). https://programs.dsireusa.org/system/program?state=DE
- *. DSIRE. Delaware Solar | Delaware Solar Rights Law (accessed August 16, 2021). https://programs.dsireusa.org/system/program?state=DE
- *. Green Grant Delaware. Green Grant Solar Hot Water and Geothermal (accessed August 16, 2021).
- *. Delaware. Delaware Public Service Commission (accessed August 16, 2021). https://depsc.delaware.gov/delawares-renewable-portfolio-standard-green-...
What's the best way to go solar in Delaware?
Sunshine is a clean energy resource that takes advantage of sunshine to reduce electricity costs. As positive as it is, it’s important to conduct independent research to find a service provider that offers the right combination of quality, appearance, and durability. Due diligence in this area is of the utmost importance.
A consultation with a solar professional can set your mind at ease while giving you a chance to ask questions about a design that meets your energy, budget, and property needs. A premium solar system from a reputable provider will provide the best satisfaction and return on investment.
Your professional can recommend a practical, yet aesthetically pleasing installation guaranteed to raise your property’s value while ensuring you leverage rebates and incentives to maximize savings on installation costs.
Get started now by requesting a free consultation with SunPower. We’ll follow up with a quick call to schedule a time. You can also call us directly at (800) 786-7693.
SunPower® Design Studio
See what your home looks like with solar
SunPower currently creates thousands of solar designs per week for our customers. Now we can create thousands per second.