ROSEVILLE, CA, GOES SOLAR WITH SUNPOWER®
A new bright spot in Placer County
The state of solar in Roseville
Clean power is at the heart of Roseville. The city is committed to transitioning to 100% clean energy by 2040 and reducing greenhouse gas emissions 80% by 2050. With 97% of the city’s rooftops solar viable,* Roseville is no exception to California’s reputation as a solar-friendly environment, both in terms of economic incentives and natural resources. After all, the city boasts 247 sunny days a year—more than 40 days over the national average.*
How much solar energy does Roseville produce?
With more than 3,400 existing solar installations, Roseville has an estimated installed solar capacity of 14.35 MW. The city anticipates adding another 30 MW over the next decade. Around 6% of homes in the city already feature a solar PV system.
In 2019, Roseville’s City Hall and fire station also switched to a network of more than 200 solar panels for their energy consumption.* That same year, Roseville residents and businesses were unaffected by a PG&E blackout thanks to city-owned Roseville Electric, which generates about 50% of its electricity from clean sources.*
What are the advantages of going solar in Roseville?
Roseville spends approximately 25% more than the rest of the U.S. on electricity—nearly 15 cents per kilowatt-hour (kWh).* Many homeowners find that adds up very quickly. Private electricity collection through a solar power system allows you to reduce or even eliminate that cost entirely. Switching to solar power has the potential to offer significant savings—up to $44,000 over 20 years with a 5 kW system.*
More striking than the financial advantages, though, are the environmental ones. As the effects of climate change worsen, Roseville is as vulnerable to wildfires and rising salt content in our drinking water as the rest of northern California.* Solar is a carbon-neutral energy source and helps decrease greenhouse gas emissions that lead to climate change.
If all the solar viable rooftops in Roseville were utilized, it would offset 300,000 metric tons of carbon dioxide, the equivalent of taking 63,500 cars off the road for a year or planting 7.7 million trees and allowing them to grow for a decade.*
How much does solar cost in Roseville?
The cost of a home solar system can vary, even in the same city, due to a range of factors. These include:
Quality of the solar panels
The angle of your roof
Your household's energy needs
To help you understand the price of going solar in your area, we've analyzed SunPower price quotes, as well as quotes gathered by third-party sources for thousands of homeowners across the country.* In Roseville, we found that the cost of installing a 5 kW solar system ranges from $12,750 to $23,200, or in other words, from $2.55 to $4.64 per watt. And that's before considering the benefits of any available tax credits or incentives.
Roseville Electric, the city’s electricity utility provider, offers a net metering program whereby you can transfer any excess electricity your system produces back to the grid for a credit on your bill.* The credit rate was once equal to the current electricity rate, but in 2018 the city of Roseville changed its solar buyback rate to just under 6 cents per kWh or about 43% of Roseville's average electricity rate. Even so, the program can reduce your electricity costs further.
Additionally, you may be able to take advantage of the investment tax credit (ITC), which allows you to claim 26% of your installation costs on your federal taxes.*
What’s the best way to go solar in Roseville?
Before signing a contract on a new solar panel system, you’ll need to understand your needs in terms of budget, energy consumption, and short-term versus long-term gains. Remember, not all solar panels are created equal, and not all panels provide the same results.
Working with a reputable solar provider is the easiest way to traverse the solar installation process. You should be offered in-person or online consultations, a custom solar design, a cost and savings estimate, and an overview of any available incentives, rebates, or tax credits.
Looking for commercial solar in Roseville?
SunPower is the #1 Commercial Solar Provider in the U.S. since 2017.* Schedule a commercial solar consultation today.
- *. Project Sunroof data explorer (November 2018).
- *. Best Places. Climate in Roseville, CA. March 2021
- *. Star Tribune, Roseville invests in solar power at its City Hall, fire station. April 19, 2019.
- *. Comstock’s Magazine, Powering a Region (March 9, 2020)
- *. ElectricityLocal.com, Roseville, CA Electricity Rates. April 2021.
- *. EnergySage.com, Solar Panels in Roseville, CA. April 10, 2021.
- *. LA Times, Climate change will be deadlier, more destructive and costlier for California than previously believed, state warns. August 27, 2018.
- *. Project Sunroof data explorer (November 2018).
- *. Local Installers 2020/2021, Wood Mackenzie 2020, Solar Reviews 2021, Energy Sage 2021, National Renewable Energy Laboratory 2020
- *. The availability of net metering varies by location and is subject to change. Visit dsireusa.org for detailed solar policy information.
- *. Tax credits subject to change. Consult your tax advisor regarding the solar tax credit and how it applies to your specific circumstances. Visit dsireusa.org for detailed solar policy information.
- *. Source: Wood MacKenzie, US PV Leaderboard (March 2021). SunPower ranked #1 in cumulative commercial volume 2017-2020.
SunPower® Design Studio
See what your home looks like with solar
SunPower currently creates thousands of solar designs per week for our customers. Now we can create thousands per second.