The Solar Star Projects (formerly Antelope Valley Solar Projects) are two co-located solar installations in Kern and Los Angeles Counties in California. Together, they will employ several hundred workers during construction and generate millions of dollars in local economic impact—all the while, delivering enough clean electricity to power the equivalent of approximately 255,000 homes.
Construction Start: Early 2013
Expected Completion: Year-end 2015
Solar Construction Jobs Created: Approx. 650 over a three-year period
Equivalent No. of Homes Powered: Approx. 255,000
About the Solar Star Projects
The co-located Solar Star Projects are a 579-megawatt solar installation that began construction in early 2013. BHE Solar, a subsidiary of BHE Renewables, owns the projects. SunPower Corporation was the developer of the projects; is the engineering, procurement and construction contractor; and will provide operations and maintenance services for the plants via a multi-year services agreement.
Solar Economic Benefits
- Approximately 650 solar construction jobs over a three-year construction period
- More than $500 million in regional economic impact
- Increased local business activity and public revenue
- Up to 40 Solar Operations and Maintenance jobs, including 15 full-time site positions
Solar Environmental Benefits
- High-efficiency solar panels and SunPower™ Oasis™ Power Plant technology reduce land use
- BHE Solar cites an avoidance of more than 570,000 tons of carbon dioxide emissions per year—the equivalent of removing over 2 million cars from the road over 20 years
- Generation of clean electricity to power the equivalent of approximately 255,000 homes
Contact The Solar Star Projects
For additional information about the Solar Star Projects, contact the appropriate individual below. Please include your name and preferred method of contact (phone number or email address) within your inquiry to ensure a timely response.